Until 1828, only Azerbaijani Turks lived in the village (except for two Armenian families). In 1828, Armenians were also resettled in the village, later they left, and until 1920 only Azerbaijanis lived in the village. In 1920-1988, the population of the village was mixed, Azerbaijanis and Armenians lived together here, and in 1988 the village was completely Armenized.
In 1832, 799 Muslims (441 men, 358 women) lived in the village in 131 families and only 15 Armenians (9 men, 6 women) in 2 families. After the Treaty of Turkmanchay to the region from Iran were resettled 430 (220 men, 210 women) in 98 families, but in subsequent years (1873, 1886, etc.) the fact that the statistics of the village, there was no Armenian, gives grounds to say that these Armenian families left the village and settled in other villages where Armenians were the majority.
In 1873, 1,743 Azerbaijanis (890 men, 853 women) lived in 241 families in the village of Boyuk-Vedi, in 1886 - 2,110 (1,133 men, 977 women) in 286 households. In the latest statistics, 360 of them (186 men, 174 women) were members of the Vedi Beks' family.
In 1905, 2,387 Azerbaijanis lived in the village, in 1914 - 2,672.
In the first years of Soviet rule, the Azerbaijani population who returned from emigration was 1504 people. But at the same time, the Armenian leadership of Soviet Armenia, like all strategic points, sought to accommodate a large number of Armenians arriving from abroad in the village of Boyuk Vedi. Despite the fact that in 1922 the number of such Armenians in Boyuk Vedi had already reached 453 people, in 1926 there were 1,545 Azerbaijanis, 261 Armenians living in the village, in 1931 - 1,254 Azerbaijanis, 214 Armenians.
On April 4, 1946, by decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR, the village of Boyuk Vedi was renamed in Vedi.
During the resettlement of 1948-1953, one of the first villages that were supposed to be relocated from the Vedi district was Boyuk Vedi. In 1949 , the Azerbaijani population of the village was completely relocated toAzerbaijan. It is also interesting that the resettlement of this population to one place was purposefully prevented, people were scattered in such areas as Beylagan, Imishli, Barda, Shamkir, etc..
After the death of I. Stalin, part of the rural population - 122 houses - was able to return and re-settled in the homes of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers. However, as a result of the well-thought-out policy of the Armenians, they were gradually ousted, and in 1968 only 45 houses of Azerbaijanis remained in the village.
In 1988, the population of the village of Boyuk Vedi was about a thousand people. At the same time, the Azerbaijanis in the village remained in a significant minority. Only 40 Azerbaijani households lived in the village. In the same year, a new threat loomed over the Azerbaijanis, and the Armenian nationalists expelled them from their native places with obvious violence.
The villagers set fire to Huseyn Hasanov's house and forced him to say that he had set his house on fire himself.
The apartment of Magerram Hagverdiyev was attacked, he escaped. Threatening J. Abbasov, A. Mamedaliev, I. Rahimov, A. Mammadov and others were demanded to leave the area immediately and so on.
In Boyuk Vedi there were 5 cemeteries. The Mahmudlu cemetery was located above the village, not far from the Gavur fortress, the Kosanli cemetery was located in the low-lying part of the village, the Vedili cemetery was located next to the Galaburja mills. The Paskins had two cemeteries: one in the village and the other in Sary Dolam.
At each of the cemeteries of Kosanli and Paskili during the resettlement of 1948-1953 there were still three statues of a ram. These statues were as tall as a live ram with Burmese horns. Later, the Armenians, along with the cemeteries, destroyed these sculptures, losing their traces.
There were 2 mosques in the settlement of Paskili, 1 mosque in the Valiushagi district, and 2 mosques in the Vedilyar district. Such religious figures as Sheikh Gambar, Sheikh Ali, Molla Muhammedtagi, Kalba Ahmed, Molla Huseyn Nuriyev sat in these mosques. Unfortunately, in Soviet times, one of the buildings of this mosque was turned into an MTS, and the other into a warehouse. And some of them eventually collapsed. Only the Valiushagi Mosque survived until 1988. And although it no longer functioned, the Azerbaijanis of this village guarded and visited it.
There was also a shrine called ojag in the village of Boyuk Vedi Mirali. Ojag was named after its owner Mirali agha. Mirali-aga's grave was located in the upper part of the village. Before the deportation of 1948-1953, ojag functioned. After Mirali-aga's children were transported to Beylagan during the deportation, his sons came and moved the grave and ojag of Seyid.